Catsup etc. (was: Re: Carbonated beverages)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Sep 9 22:31:28 UTC 2002

I'm a little late reading the rest of Mike's message (excerpted below), but
having finally done so, I'm curious:  Do Chicagoans actually pronounce it
"catsup"?  I grew up seeing it spelled that way on labels, with a few
"ketchups" and at least one "katchup," until all the labels I'm aware of
today finally seemed to settle on "ketchup"--but the only person I ever
heard actually pronounce it (very deliberately) "cat-sup" was my paternal
grandmother, who also said "Jap-pan," "port-trait" and "spaghetta" and in
general was a font of original spelling pronunciations and
hypercorrections.  (FWIW, she was born in California but spent her married
life in Iowa.)

Does anyone live in an area where "catsup" is actually the local
pronunciation today?

Peter Mc.

--On Monday, September 2, 2002 2:45 PM -0500 Mike Salovesh
<t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU> wrote:

> "Thou shalt not put catsup on thy hotdog."
>
> (Those who speak heathen non-Chicagoan may need to substitute such
> barbarisms as "ketchup",

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu