On that Japanese version of Mongolian Hot Pot

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 10 00:47:47 UTC 2002

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 00:35:13 +0000
To: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
From: KATO Yasuhiko
Subject: Re: On a different topic...

Larry,

>  Can you remind me what the dish is called that is the specialty of
>  that restaurant that you and your uncle took me to, near the [Tokyo] sumo
>  arena?

I phoned my uncle and ascertained that the name of the restaurant is Sumida
(named after the river near the arena) and that of the dish is Chanko-nabe
( nabe = cookpot), the sumo wrestlers' main meal.  I think its recipe should
be simple, for it is cooked every day by younger sumo wrestlers themselves.

--- end forwarded text