Catsup etc. (was: Re: Carbonated beverages)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Tue Sep 10 02:12:07 UTC 2002

Peter Mc. writes:
 >  Do Chicagoans actually pronounce it
>"catsup"?  I grew up seeing it spelled that way on labels, with a few
>"ketchups" and at least one "katchup," until all the labels I'm aware of
>today finally seemed to settle on "ketchup"--but the only person I ever
>heard actually pronounce it (very deliberately) "cat-sup" was my paternal
>grandmother, who also said "Jap-pan," "port-trait" and "spaghetta" and in
>general was a font of original spelling pronunciations and
>hypercorrections.  (FWIW, she was born in California but spent her married
>life in Iowa.)
>
>Does anyone live in an area where "catsup" is actually the local
>pronunciation today?
>
>Peter Mc.
~~~~~~~~~
 I don't know if the fact that my father spent a good deal of his youth in
Chicago  had anything to do with it, but we said "catsup" and "ketchup"
interchangeably in our  family when I was a kid in Nebraska.  I can't be
sure I remember accurately what other people there said.
A.Murie