SHOUTING; emphasis?

Tue Sep 10 17:25:11 UTC 2002

On Monday, Sep 9, 2002, at 10:21 America/New_York, RonButters at AOL.COM
wrote:
> Can anyone REALLY be
> "shouting" if he or she does not know that he or she is shouting? I
> guess
> that people sometimes shout unconsciously in their sleep, but it is
> not easy
> to see what the pragmatic equivalent of that would be.

It's very easy to me. I know several people who, in normal discourse,
bellow at the top of their lungs. They have a tendency to disregard
their environment, or they may have hearing problems or an inability to
tune out environmental noise, but they are still unecessarily shouting.
So how do their friends and coworkers deal with this? By the same
method used here: "Do you realize you are shouting?"

--
Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org
Small Business Apple Macintosh Support in New York City
http://www.worldnewyork.org/