Phonics Claimd To Be Pushed By Feds

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 12 04:32:14 UTC 2002

I wasn't intending, in any way, to dismiss phonics.  I have done my fair
share of reading on these kinds of teaching issues, and from what I've
gathered, I assumed that most instructors were convinced that a whole
word/phonics combined approach was as good as an approach can get.  I was
(apparently poorly) trying to make a joke.  i.e. Since I wasn't taught
phonics, I couldn't type out the *raspberry* sound, so all I could say was
the word "raspberry".  And it wasn't "phonics-- the approach" that was
*raspberry*ed, but rather the allegedly sketchy way that Bush was pushing it.
 I had originally included yet another anecdote of how my purely whole-word
teaching was a problem for me until the thrid grade when I was taught
phonics, but decided to leave it out for the sake of a punch-line.

Again, I do apologize for any offense that was received.

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
University of Texas - Austin

P.S.   Everyone KNOWS that the singular of "data" isn't "anecdote".... it's
"anecdote that I remembered to write down".