"ain't gonna back down"

Thu Sep 12 15:36:44 UTC 2002

Hmmmmm. Isn't all spelling normative? Should I respell all
Northerners who conflate 'hoarse' and 'horse'? Should I be annoyed to
find my 'pen' spelled 'pin'? I think there is a
'phonological-morphological' line for respellings (which I wrote
about pretty extensively in the Journal of American Folklore many
years ago but raised the ire of many folklorists who seemed eager to
defend their "quaint" spellings). It was odd, however, that this
quaintness seemed to be used on for quaint people, a peculiarly
unrelativistic stance, one would think, especially for folklorists,
who ought to have some anthropological moxie).

dInIs

Please do not point out that "Dennis" is respelled in my messages
(and that morphology is clearly not involved). I get to make all the
fun of myself I feel like.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics