Mongolian greetings

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 17 06:00:03 UTC 2002

   Greetings from some town in the Gobi desert!  My MIAT flight today was cancelled!  What a surprise!  So we're driving 800 kms in the Gobi desert in the Soviet jeeps without the seat belts back to Ulaan Bataar, so I can get a flight to Beijing and then Chengdu and then Lhasa.  Geez, what a mess.
   I have 160 messages and it takes five minutes to get to one of them.
   Quickly, before the monster Mongolian ride:

CAKEWALK--William Safire's column last Sunday said that "cakewalk" was from 1877. Many months ago, I posted an 1874 citation.  Of course, the NEW YORK TIMES corrections and letters to the editor are not open to me.  I will never be treated fairly by that publication.  But still, a fellow ADS member--can't I even get respect in the ADS?

B.B.B.--Big Black Bird.  Kind of like L.B.J.

300 MONOGLIAN WORDS FOR HORSE--Said in the LONELY PLANET guide.  My tour guide was skeptical.

MONGOLIAN HORSE PROVERB:
  While your father is alive make as many friends as you can.  While your horse is alive see as many lands as you can.

AWWRIGHT!  LET'S ROLL TO U.B.!!