OED adds "momo," but omits "Monlam"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 21 05:37:54 UTC 2002

  Greetings again from Lhasa.  I go to the Sera Monastery this afternoon, and to the towns of Gyantse and Shigatse the next two days before heading home.
  We saw the "Drepung Monastery Tour Shop" this morning--not a "gift shop," and the rare thing that's not a "shopping center"...A picture of Chairman Mao is still on monastery walls.  There are boxes that are supposed to contain religious scrolls, but I'm not convinced they're not empty and were not burned in the "Cultural Revolution"...A local's cell phone went off in the monastery--to the tune of "Hava Negila"!

OED REVISION

   OED has added "momo" (as expected) but has not included "Monlam," the Tibetan prayer festival.  OED has entries for Purim, Hanukkah, Yom Kippur, and Rosh Hashonah, for example.  Easter and Christmas are there, too.  Tibetan Buddhism doesn't count?
   Below is the most recent OED revision letter:

  Subj:    EXPLORE OVER 1700 NEW AND REVISED WORDS...
  Date:    Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:57:45 PM Eastern Standard Time
  From:    Jane Skober <skoberj at oup-usa.org>
  To:    "OED Subscribers" <Bapopik at aol.com>
  Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear Subscriber,

We are pleased to announce that the latest quarterly update to the OED Online (http://www.oed.com) is now available!

The latest alphabetical range to be revised is MIVVY to MONNISHER (visit http://www.oed.com for details!)

CHECK OUT THE LATEST BUZZ WORDS...
The new OED Online update also covers new vocabulary from a wide range of different contexts - including everything from terms for UFO conspiracy theorists (such as ABDUCTEE, ABDUCTION, CONTACTEE and GREY) to followers of the hierarchy of celebrity (A-LIST, B-LIST, C-LIST, and even Z-LIST, as well as FIFTEEN MINUTES OF FAME and FAMOUS FOR BEING FAMOUS).   The complete list of out-of-sequence new entries is available at: (http://www.oed.com/public/help/Dict/Quarterly/0209a.htm)

SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT OED ONLINE...
If you would like posters or brochures to help you alert your users to the availability of the OED Online, I would be happy to send them to you.  Just let me know how many you would like.  Also, copies of our new revised Quick Reference Guide are now available at (http://www.oed.com/public/pdfs/Quickref.pdf).   Logos can also be downloaded from (http://dictionary.oed.com/public/welcome/link.htm) for use on your website.

NEW ISSUE OF OED NEWS...
The September issue of OED News is now available at
(http://www.oed.com/public/news/0209.htm) and can be downloaded as a PDF file.
One of the highlights of this issue is an article about the making of the new Fifth Edition of the Shorter English Dictionary which will be published on September 26, 2002.  Also included is a fascinating piece on the interaction between lexicography and poetry written by two published poets working on the revision of the OED.   In this month's Appeal, we are asking if anyone can help us find earlier examples of the use of a variety of words and phrases - for example, was "texting" a possibility before 1993, and was one able to enjoy a "treacle tart" before 1919?  If you can help, please e-mail oed3 at oup.co.uk

AND DON'T MISS...
The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 5th Edition, is now available!  Order now at:
(http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0198604572.html)

FREE TRIALS OF OXFORD REFERENCE ONLINE...
This new reference database brings together 100 key Oxford dictionaries and reference works across the subject spectrum into a single cross-searchable database.  Oxford Reference Online (http://www.oxfordreference.com) has been widely acclaimed, most recently in the September issue of Choice:

"an authoritative, efficient, one-stop shop for quick facts, definitions, and dates [which] satisfies the great expectations raised by Oxford's reputation in reference publishing....[The] reasonable price makes this an easy purchase for academic libraries. While it is true that these separate facts and definitions can be found by scouring the Web, no reference site, free or fee based, draws them together so well."

AND DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE ANB ONLINE...
The American National Biography Online (http://www.anb.org) is the definitive biographical resource for the history of this nation.  New pricing options make this more affordable than ever!

Why not see for yourself?  If you or someone you know would like a free trial of Oxford Reference Online or the ANB Online, simply e-mail me at skoberj at oup-usa.org.

If you have any questions about your subscription to the OED Online, please don't hesitate to contact
support at oed.com.

Best,
Jane Skober
Account Manager, Online Products