British Dialects Book

Sat Sep 21 15:11:49 UTC 2002

A phonemic transcription (or representation) is of a mental cognitive
fact. A phonetic transcription tries to capture an
acoustic/articulatory fact. "Prons" (a new technical term to me)
appears to be a not very helpful one which means anything written
which tries to capture either of these facts.
If I suggested that a phonetic or phonemic representation was itself
that which it represented, I apologize for that; I assure you I have
no such philosophical silliness in mind.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics