British Dialects Book

Sat Sep 21 17:12:58 UTC 2002

>Of course it would. As long as that means yhat nobody pronounces
>phonemes (only phones).

I don't understand, however, why "phone" and "phoneme" wouldn't do
for any speech recognition (or production) computational attempts? I
say the phones
[ha:], and, if you're good, you build a machine which recognizes the
word "hi" on the basis of some sort of pan-dialectal phonemic
representation (presumably something like /haI/ which represents the
morpheme {hi}. I don't really see the need for a 'pron.'

dInIs (who is no categorically opposed to new terminology)

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics