Hong Kong food query

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 23 10:18:42 UTC 2002

   Greetings from Shigatse, Tibet.  Tomorrow (Tuesday) I have a 6+ hour drive back to Lhasa.  On Wednesday, I fly to Hong Kong, arriving about 5 p.m.  I'm in Hong Kong all Thursday, and I fly for home at 12:40 a.m. on Friday.

CHOCO PIE
   The name for "moon pies" here.  I thought both names were trademarked, but "choco-pie" has appeared on several different brands.

SANGRAI METHOD
   From a snack on MIAT (Mongolian Airlines):
Honey Roasted Peanuts
produced using the sangrai method (oil-free) and nitrogen packed for freshness.

CHINGLISH (continued)
   On a pan:
   TIMLA PRODUCT
   100% value of money

"WINDY CITY" WRONG IN CHICAGO TRIBUNE (continued, of course)
   Dennis Preston has said that he doesn't particularly like reading this "Windy City" stuff.  I just went to www.chicagotribune.com, typed in "Windy City" & "Dana" & "1893," and a 23 August 2002, pg. 1, "Unauthorized Chicago" article turned up.  I didn't pay to read the whole article, but it looks like the Tribune has done it AGAIN!
  Dennis, I don't like repeating this, either.  If my work had some respect, I wouldn't have to.

HONG KONG FOOD QUERY
   For my one day in Hong Kong on Thursday, I queried Hong Kong University, but got no response today (Monday).  Anyone have any other good ideas for Thursday (e-mail privately or to list)?

Subj:    Hong Kong restaurant menus, cookbooks
  Date:    Sat, 21 Sep 2002 9:12:18 AM Eastern Standard Time
  From:    Bapopik
  To:    specol at lib.hku.hk

  I'm a member of New York Culinary Historians, and I'm interested in Honk Kong food & drink.  I'll be in your city on September 25 & 26.
  Does your library (or any other library) have a Hong Kong restaurant menu collection?  Do you have Hong Kong cookbooks in English?  Has anyone at your university written about Hong Kong food and drink?
  Thank you for any help you can provide.

Barry Popik
225 East 57th Street, Apt. 7P
New York, NY 10022