"phat"

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 24 08:30:06 UTC 2002

When I was growing up (African American, Western VA, '60's) PHAT
stood for something more vulgar:  pussy, hips, ass and thighs.
Perhaps M-W's is the clean version of the acronym used by people
perhaps offended by the former. I, too, am curious about M-W's
evidence of the origin of the acronym.

The
> lexicographer who got the most air time was never identified by
> name,
> but did explain to the world that M-W's evidence clearly indicates
> that "phat" originated as an acronym of 'Pretty Hips And Thighs'.
> Is
> this something we actually know, or even universally believe?  Is
> anyone here (from M-W or elsewhere) willing to divulge what this
> evidence is?  I'm skeptical, as I always am of acronymic slang
> derivations (especially for words that don't have a clear military
> or
> cyber-origin).
>
> Larry

=====
Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - English and Linguistics
 & University Editor
Department of English
Hampton University, Hampton, VA 23668
(757)727-5769(voice);(757)727-5084(fax);(757)851-5773(home)
e-mail: margaret.lee at hamptonu.edu   or   mlee303 at yahoo.com