Bourgie

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Tue Sep 24 22:55:01 UTC 2002

The r-less pronunciation /bu' zhi/ was used commonly among my friends in
England when I lived there (1987-1996); it was widespread, used by all
races and seemingly anyone under 50. It was not specific to blacks, used
simply as a mild disparagement of middle-class taste or behavior. I never
saw it spelled; I assume the r-less pronunciation is due to the way that
"bourgeois" is pronounced in England.