/zh/ replacing /dzh/?

Anne Gilbert avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Wed Sep 25 17:14:21 UTC 2002

Fritz:

> GaraZH has always sounded like some affectation. I can see pronouncing
'liege' with  ZH; maybe the speaker is trying to sound more French. The
Normans had lieges and so on.  So, with respect to those old social
classes... However, the garage hardly seems to be the place to be puttin' on
airs.  When I hear some hick from Indiana say 'garazh' I snicker.
> BTW, no one (at least that I have seen) has mentioned the Taj Mahal. TaJ
or TaZH?
> Fritz Juengling

AFAIK, it's "garazh" in the Pacifc NW(at least around Seattle), and it
doesn't sound funny to my ear.  What sounds weird to me is people who try to
say things like "reservwah"(I call this "fake French").  But then, I believe
we had a discussion about "fake French" and other such pronunciations about
a year ago.  As for TaJ or TaZH Mahal, I've heard both.
Anne G
> --

---