/zh/ replacing /dzh/?

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Wed Sep 25 18:01:45 UTC 2002

>You'd better call them hicks Hoosiers.

Pronounced 'hoojer' of course!

Fritz

Fritz must be from one of them
places that ain't got no hicks.

dInIs

>Well, of course, the right way to say Elijah has neither /zh/ nor
>/dzh/...

Well, what is the 'right' way?

>but I don't think I've ever heard a non-affricated English
>pronunciation. Garage with /dzh/ strikes me as a Britishism
>("Britishcism?).

GaraZH has always sounded like some affectation. I can see
pronouncing 'liege' with  ZH; maybe the speaker is trying to sound
more French. The Normans had lieges and so on.  So, with respect to
those old social  classes... However, the garage hardly seems to be
the place to be puttin' on airs.  When I hear some hick from Indiana
say 'garazh' I snicker.
BTW, no one (at least that I have seen) has mentioned the Taj Mahal.
TaJ or TaZH?
Fritz Juengling

Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics