/zh/ replacing /dzh/?

Wed Sep 25 23:09:37 UTC 2002

larry,

Does this mean I take my beater to the /gradzh/ but the chateau has
an attached /garazh/?

dInIs

This is not entirely with tongue-you-know-where; s I grew up (in
Loo at vul), I came to have a meaning for /grisI/ which suggested a fine
or delicate oil and reserved /grizI/ for the unmarked sense - You
been workin on the car and are all greasy.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics