Fwd (from Norm Cohen):"jazz"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Apr 3 02:27:19 UTC 2003

   Norm Cohen (no relation) recently sent me a message about "jazz",
and with his permission I present it below my signoff.  It pertains
to the early attestations of "jazz" in a musical sense.

   OED gives 1917 as the earliest attestation of "jazz" in a musical
sense; (set aside the 1909 example as an error).  Meanwhile, Irving
Lewis Allen, _The City In Slang_, 1993, p.71, citing Gunther
Schuller's 1968 _Early Jazz..._, says: "In 1915 jazz was introduced
to New Yorkers in a vaudeville theater by Freddie Keppard's Creole
Band, but few took notice."

Gerald Cohen