Soda Straw

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Apr 4 23:47:41 UTC 2003

There is a Usenet post from 1997 that uses "soda straw view:"

"Instructor slapped mask back on at 100% O-two. Vision spread out instantly
from the down-the-soda-straw view I had
acquired." QDurham (qdurham at aol.com), Subject: Re: questions regarding
oxygen, altitude and cabin pressure, Newsgroup: rec.aviation.homebuilt,
Date: 6 Aug 1997

There is also the following from 1992, about night vision equipment on
fighter planes:

"There is a problem with depth perception, and the view through the HUD FLIR
is best described as 'like looking through a soda straw', but in my
experience, they are appreciated by the aircrews." Mark Shanks
(shanks at saifr00.cfsat.honeywell.com), Subject: Re: Falcon OFT night missions
and tidbits, Newsgroup: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games,  Date: 18 Sep 1992

You also see the term crop up in astronomy circles, enabling the blind, etc.
But it clearly has been used in Air Force circles for at least a decade, so
it's no surprise that Myers, an Air Force general, picked it up.