"Windy City" in forthcoming ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CHICAGO HISTORY

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Apr 8 00:21:59 UTC 2003

    The Comments on Etymology issue which I gave to the Newberry
Library has been superseded by Barry's later work. If Barry would
like to prepare a revised treatment--an up-to-date version--I would
be honored to have it appear in the next available issue of Comments
on Etymology. I would then distribute it at my own cost to the
leading historical societies with an interest in Chicago.

    It looks like the Encyclopedia of Chicago History currently under
preparation may be weak in its treatment of "The Windy City." Any
treatment which does not reflect Barry's work is ipso facto not
up-to-date. But that's water under the bridge.  Let's aim for the
next major work which will treat Chicago's history, and Barry's
(likely) definitive article will be the basis of the treatment in
that future book.

Gerald Cohen
Professor of Foreign Languages
(Research specialty: Etymology)