/zink/ for "sink"--How widespread?

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 10 15:15:21 UTC 2003

Allow me to quote from that authoritative book, "How We Talk: American
Regional English Today" by Allan Metcalf (Houghton Mifflin, 2000), p 52:

"Baltimore is also one of the places where you can hear 'zink' for _sink_.
Other examples of that pronunciation have been found by the _Dictionary of
American Regional English_ in New York, Kentucky, Mississippi, Iowa, and
North Dakota."

My source is a message from Joan Hall of DARE in reply to my inquiry in 1999:

"A quick check of the DARE files turns up examples from IA, KY (2), MD (2),
MS, NY (2), and ND."

I notice that the new volume of DARE has no entry for "sink," but perhaps
this information will appear in a Volume 5 entry for "zink."

- Allan Metcalf