Buttermilk Pie (1938); Milk Shake (1886); Ice Cream Scooper (1954)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 12 04:41:55 UTC 2003

Thanks to NYU's Greg Downing for pointing out that NYU now has the WASHINGTON POST on a trial basis, so I can look at that again.

BUTTERMILK PIE, POCAHONTAS PUDDING, WHITE MONKEY

   I knew the WASHINGTON POST would be better on "buttermilk pie" than the NEW YORK TIMES.  I also found a "white monkey" with "Pocahontas."

    Display Ad 137 -- No Title; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Nov 9, 1952; pg. X32, 1 pgs

    Now's the Time to Whip Up Cooling Supper Dishes; By Lucia Brown; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Jun 20, 1947; pg. C7, 1 pgs

    Pie as Dessert Brightens the Day Regardless of the Occasion; Ice Cream Marmalade Treat Wins First Prize; By Martha Ellyn, By The Post Food Editor; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Sep 8, 1939; pg. 18, 1 pgs

    Recipes Flow Like Milk They're Made of Into Post Food Contest to Take Prizes; Puddings, Soups, Sauces, Salads Among Dishes of Dairy Origin; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Apr 7, 1939; pg. 15, 1 pgs
("...Pocahontas pudding...")
("One of the most amusing ideas suggested was 'White Monkey,' which, despite its jungle name, was a mild and gentle dish of eggs poached in milk, then combined with cheese and hot toast.")

    Delicious Pies, Gingerbread and Griddle Cakes Made With Buttermilk Take Prizes in Post's Contest; Flavor Adds Tang Novelty Economical Waffles Popular; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Oct 14, 1938; pg. X18, 1 pgs

MILK SHAKE

   I had posted the first of the below recently.  The 1886 cite I found the old way and posted in the old ADS-L archives, but I'll re-post it for convenience.

    BEFORE THE CONVENTION.; GREAT CROWDS OUTSIDE THE HALL--A BUNGLING DISTRIBUTION OF TICKETS --THE ASSEMBLING OF THE DELEGATES--DEFECTS IN THE ARRANGEMENT OF THE HALL.; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Jun 20, 1888; pg. 1, 2 pgs

     EDITOR GRADY'S LETTER; WHAT HE FINDS OF INTEREST IN THE RUINED CITY.; Special Dispatch to THE POST., H. W. GRADY.; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Sep 5, 1886; pg. 5, 1 pgs

     The Latest Novelties.; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; May 13, 1886; pg. 2, 1 pgs
(_From the Atlanta Constitution_.
   You get it at the soda fountains.  The mixer of cooling beverages pours out a glass of sweet milk, puts in a big spoonful of crushed ice, puts in a mixture of unknown ingredients, draws a bit of any desired sirup, shakes milk in a tin can, like a barkeeper mixes lemonade, sprinkles a little nutmeg on the foaming milk until it looks something like a Tom and Jerry, sits it out for you and you pay five cents.  "Milk shake" is an Atlanta drink.  Atlanta is nothing of not original.)

ICE CREAM SCOOPER

   I checked for "scooper."  "Ice cream scoop" is earlier, but I wanted to avoid a scoop of ice cream.

   20 June 1954, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. S13, col. 4 ad:
   _New Home Dipper_
   _for Ice Cream, Desserts_
   Makes every meal more appetizing and decorative!  A flick of the thumb and exclusive "pop-out" action neatly pops out perfectly rounded portions of ice cream, chopped meats, cottage cheese, other dishes.  No muss or fuss with this professional type dipper.  Super Scooper's all-aluminum construction stays shiny, cleans easily.  A lightweight kitchen helper...makes handy gift.  Guaranteed.  Only $1 ppd.
SIEBERT CO., 2230 South Union Ave., Chicago 16, Ill.