She-Crab Soup (1934); Mixed Grill (1910); Refried Beans (1945)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 15 00:16:04 UTC 2003

SHE-CRAB SOUP

   "She-crab soup" is a specialty of Charleston.  NYU is missing volume four of DARE, so I can't check.  OED, ah, doesn't have it.

 1.       DRIVING TO FLORIDA; Faster and More Comfortable Trip South Possible Following New Construction; By MERRILL FOLSOM; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Dec 9, 1951; pg. 305, 1 pgs
(...restaurants serving she-crab soup, shrimp pie, hoppin-john, okra gumbo and other plantation dishes.")

  2.      Out of My Mind; Coast to Coast; By Katherine Brush; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Oct 22, 1939; pg. AM2, 1 pgs
("...and the she-crab soup they make in Charleston...and the pompano baked in waxed paper at Antoine's in New Orleans...")

  3.      Charleston, Where Rice and Pedigree Rule; Hospitality of Natives and Climate Add to City's Charm.; By Frances Parkinson Keyes.; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Apr 1, 1934; pg. S7, 1 pgs
("'She cralb!  She cralb!  She cralb!' drones another vender through his nose, the nonchalance of his hearing inspired by his knowledge of the desirability of his wares; for the female of the species is more luscious than the male, and 'She Crab Soup,' as the housewife of Charleston serves it, is worth traveling around the world to taste.")

MIXED GRILL

   I posted "mixed grill" before, but not this citation, I guess.  The revised OED (September 2002) has 1913 for "mixed grill."

   WHERE MUSIC SOOTHES WHILE LOBSTERS BROIL; No Restaurant Is Now Complete Without an Orchestra to Serve Wagner, Bach or Chopin to Tempt the Appetite -- Noted Musicians Draw Big Crowd.; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Apr 24, 1910; pg. SM7, 1 pgs
(Col. 4: "...the salad and the cheese may be chosen with epicurean taste, but it's a mixed grill every day where the music is concerned, with a little slice of Chopin, maybe, a morsel or Wagner, and a few trimmings of Victor Herbert to garnish up the clatter.")

REFRIED BEANS

   I'll do better.  OED has 1957?

   Article 2 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Feb 23, 1945; pg. 12, 1 pgs
(Recipe for "REFRIED BEANS" is here--ed.)

DOGGY BAG

   I've cited "doggie bag" before, but the 1943 WASHINGTON POST article about San Francisco sounds about right for the origin.  I have several 1947 articles.

  Bones for Bowser; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Jun 26, 1947; pg. B2, 1 pgs:
   Now all that is changed.  Dinners from which bones may be salvaged are accompanied by a wax-lined paper bag inscribed as follows:
_Are you happy over dinner?_
   _Don't have all the fun alone._
_Remember the pup who's waiting_
   _And take him a luscious bone._

  Dogs...; By George Berner; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Sep 12, 1943; pg. R2, 1 pgs
("Naturally the idea would have been barren of results without the full cooperation of the restaurants, so samples of Pet Pakit bags and Pet Pakit bag dispensers were made up and submitted to the San Francisco Restaurant Association, together with an explanation of what they would accomplish.")