troops

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 15 17:00:19 UTC 2003

In my long-ago Army service (1969-1971) the unit I was in used "troop" as a
singular to mean one soldier.  Most often it was in the expression "a strack
troop" meaning a soldier who was ready to pass inspection at any time.  (I
have yet to find out where "strack" came from).

I don't know how widespread this usage was.  Possibly it was a local usage,
as was "No alligators.  No hermit crabs" (the CO's catch-phrase after one of
each had been found during a surprise barracks inspection.)

              - Jim Landau