you guys

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 16 04:05:21 UTC 2003

>Just in case there is any doubt about whether the meaning of "you guys"
>includes the feature [+male], here's what a male student said in class today
>as we discussed gender differences in language (this is not an exact quote,
>but very close): "I'm glad I'm not a woman--you guys have too many issues to
>deal with!"
>
>-mai

And for an interesting NON-vocative example I'm still pondering,
here's Geno Auriemma, coach of UConn's national champion women's
basketball squad (Go Huskies!), in a WFAN radio interview on 2/3/03,
bemoaning the fact that this year's team was less deep than usual so
his substitutes couldn't give his five superb starters a a good test
when practicing:

We bring *guys* in because it's hard to go 5 guys against 5 guys in practice.

--the first "guys" is [+ male], the second two obviously not.

Larry