Chianti (1805); CPL & NYPL

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 17 10:37:06 UTC 2003

   Another Passover with the family.  My nephew, who has autism, is now 170
pounds.  He's only 11...My niece read a passage ("...out of Egypt, a nation
great, mighty, and numerous") and said: "brought us out of Egypt, a nation
great, mighty, and humorous."  Holy Moses!

CHIANTI

A PRACTICAL TREATISE ON
BREWING, DISTILLING AND RECITIFICATION
...WITH A COPIOUS APPENDIX ON THE CULTURE AND PREPARATION OF FOREIGN WINES,
BRANDIES, AND VINEGARS
by R. Shannon
London: Robert Scholey
1805

  OED and Merriam-Webster have 1833 for "Chianti."  The OXFORD COMPANION TO
WINE says "Chianti" has been around since 1398.

APPENDIX:
Pg. 146:  ...Those of the hills are a very pleasant drink about Christmas,
and during the spring; but until June the Chiantis are not esteemed to be fit
for drinking, though they are fit for exportation in butts in December;...

Pg. 146: (OED accuses me of breaking up sentences, but much of the stuff runs
like this--ed.)
   The art of brewing, or making-up, wines (further than the throwing into
each great butt the quantity of two or three hatsful of the choicest grapes
they had preserved, and laid on mats in the sun for that purpose, which were
picked from the stalks, and are esteemed (Pg. 147--ed.) proper for their
wines to feed on, and which they call governo) was not known in Chianti,
(though the hosts here practised something like it, mixing the small wines of
the country, with the strong ones of other parts; and fining their
white-wines with isinglass, whites of eggs, lime, and the like; and were
thought to put alum into their red wines to preserve them, and promote a
thirst in their guests) till on the breaking out of the first French war, an
English merchant from _Bourdeaux_ came into these parts, with a view to
accommodate the wines which were made in the best part of Chianti, and were
naturally as bright as a ruby, with a pleasant _flavour_, and a silky
softness, to the English palates, then in love with the deep-coloured rough
clarets; who instructed them first in the making of black wines, with the
Labrusco, or wild grape; which being mixed with the Chiantis, gave them a
deeper colour, and a rougher taste; and being liked in England, gave the
first occasion to great quantities being sent, thither every year in casks;
in the making of which the said gentleman was the first that instructed them;
for before, their casks were, as aboved related, very unwieldy.

Pg. 164:  The Morillon Taconne, or Munier, _i. e._ the _Miller's Grape_; this
is called the _Burgundy_ grape in England.  The leaves of this sort are very
much powdered with white, especially in the spring, when they first come out,
from whence it had the name of the _Miller's Grape_.  It produces middle-size
black grapes, which grow close upon the bunches, and are generally short and
thick.

CHICAGO PUBLIC LIBRARY

   I've now used the Chicago Public Library's e-mail reference twice.  The
first time, as you know, I told the CPL that its "Windy City" explanation was
wrong.  I got a response that I posted here.  At least one "Windy City"
definition was supposed to have been changed, but _nothing_ has been changed:

http://www.chipublib.org/008subject/005genref/faqwindy.html
http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/chinicknames.html

   Recently, I asked the CPL about the CHICAGO TRIBUNE from ProQuest.  Often,
an organization such as the Chicago Public Library will be given an advance,
beta-testing version of the product.  I have since gotten an answer from
ProQuest that I posted here, about a month ago.  The CPL's web page says that
it responds in a week.
   FWIW, I finally got a CPL response:

Subj:   Response from CPL E-Mail Reference Team