Latin help, please?

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Apr 17 15:28:51 UTC 2003

I've been hiding in the weeds on this one, figuring that someone at a good
Jesuit institution would step onto the stage and give us all the real
stuff from Boethius or St. Jerome--or that most frequently cited author,
Ibid. And maybe that will be forthcoming. In the meantime, I agree that
nullus won't work because it's masculine--and, besides, it's an adjective.
Ni(hi)l is the best candidate, as suggested earlier; and the est doesn't
have to be at the end of the sentence, although other Latin verbs like to
hang out there. Note:

Est fides credere quod nondum vides: 'Faith is believing what you don't
see'
        --and I have faith that a real classicist will appear who can give us
an authentic answer on this one and reinforce my wish that Latin were
still a solid part of the K-12 curriculum.

In any case, Larry's cat is safe with the neuter _facile_, and I won't
pursue the "neuter" and "cat" line.

PR