Potato Masher (1852); Snifter (1934, 1936)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 19 07:29:35 UTC 2003

   Even the revised OED is pretty bad on culinary equipment, and there's a lot more.  I live on East 57th Street, near Bloomingdale's.  Once I walk about two blocks to the Williams-Sonoma store and ask for the catalog, look out.

POTATO MASHER

   OED has 1855 for the popular "potato masher."  The American Periodical Series might have earlier, but I'm at NYU.

   6 April 1852, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 3:
   ...1 potato masher...

SNIFTER

   OED has 1937 for the glass.

  1.      NEW THINGS LURE THE CITY SHOPPER; Variety of Christmas Gifts for Women Are to Be Found at Moderate Prices. ; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Dec 6, 1936; pg. D9, 1 pgs
("Liqueur glasses that are distinctive and at the same time easily replaceable are copies of brandy snifters in miniature.  They are about two inches high, with tiny stems and squat, tapered little bowls.")

  2.      Display Ad 8 -- No Title; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Feb 2, 1934; pg. 7, 1 pgs:
   _AN ARISTOCRATIC SNIFTER_
For modern convenience Saks has reproduced the Classic Brandy Inhaler in a size to fit in Penthouse cupboards--these beautifully proportioned glasses have a narrow gold brim balanced by another at the base.