Popover Pan (1895)

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Wed Apr 23 17:00:27 UTC 2003

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    A "butter knife" is a great deal different that a "steak knife."
>    A "champagne glass" is not a "shotglass" or a "pilsner glass."
>    Here are entries in WEBSTER'S NEW WORLD DICTIONARY OF CULINARY ARTS for
> the items mentioned:
>
> _cake pan_  Variously shaped and sized containers for baking cake batter.
>
> _cupcake pan_ (NO ENTRY--ed.)
>
> _frying pan_  A round pan with a single long handle and low, sloping sides
> and used to pan-fry foods; available with a nonstick surface and in 8-, 10-
> and 12-in. diameters; also known as a skillet. (ILLUSTRATION)
> ("Frying pan" is in OED and is very, very old--ed.)
>
> _gem pan_  A pan designed to make miniature muffins.
>
> _peter pan_  (VERY FUNNY--ed.)
>
> _pie pan; pie plate_  A round, 1- to 2-in.-deep glass or metal pan with
> sloped sides used for baking pies.
>
> _popover pan_  A heavy baking pan used for making popovers and Yorkshire
> pudding; similar to a muffin pan but with deeper, tapered indentions that are
> spaced farther apart.  (ILLUSTRATION)
>
>    There are several things I'd think about for an OED entry:
>
> 1.  IS IT ALREADY IN AN EXISTING DICTIONARY?--I'm using food dictionaries.
>
> 2.  ARE THERE PLENTY OF CITATIONS FOR IT?--I'm giving the earliest citations
> for these, but there are many, many more.
>
> 3.  IS IT DISTINCTIVE?--A champagne glass is distinctive.  A steak knife is
> distinctive.  A cake pan is--well, what kind of cake are we talking about?
> But I might want to enter it anyway because there are a gazillion hits.
>
> 4.  WHAT TYPE OF ENTRY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?--"Cake pan" would be under
> "cake."  A citation or two would be used, and that's it.  OED has always done
> entries like this, although all of it is badly dated, as I've shown.

Other types of pans: bundt pan, angel food cake pan, springform
pan, tube pan, jelly roll pan, muffin pan, mini muffin pan, pizza
pan, angelette pan, baguette pan, bread pan, loaf pan,
checkerboard cake pan (really! I have one), cheesecake pan,
cornbread pan, doughnut pan, tart pan, pudding pan, pullman pan,
shortcake pan, yorkshire pudding pan, panetonne pan, madeleine
pan, roast pan, savarin pan, broil pan ...

... and if you had a sister like mine, you'd know there are bunny
cake pans and ball cake pans and even ninja turtle cake pans.

> 5.  WILL ANYONE CANCEL A SUBSCRIPTION IF WE, GOD FORBID, INCLUDE "PLETT
> PAN"?--No.

If you include anything at all, a plett pan entry is a must.

Don't forget aebleskiver pan.

Sal
--
Ye olde swarm of links: 3K+ useful links for writers, researchers
and the terminally curious