(Maryland) Beaten Biscuit (1854)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 25 04:57:50 UTC 2003

   DARE has 1877 for "beaten biscuit," also called "Maryland beaten biscuit" or "beat biscuit."  There's a good map.
   The Gerritsen Collection has "beat biscuit" in a shrimp recipe in the CAROLINA HOUSEWIFE, but I don't think it applies.

(NORTH AMERICAN WOMEN'S LETTERS AND DIARIES database)
1. Lomax, Elizabeth Lindsay?. "Diary of Elizabeth Lindsay Lomax, August, 1854"
[Page 26 | Paragraph | Section | Document]

persuaded to dance the Virginia Reel-- We had a merry time. Saturday, August 26, 1854 This morning very early, Mrs. Lee arrived with a large box of edibles for our boys to take to West Point. It contained Virginia ham, beaten biscuits, cakes and all manner of good things. What fun the boys will have treating their friends. My darling boy left on the noon cars-- The house seems desolate without him. Wednesday, August 30, 1854 Very warm.

2. Andrews, Eliza Frances. "Diary of Eliza Frances Andrews, April, 1865"
[Page 169 | Paragraph | Section | Document]

what I could from Metta, but her things don't fit me, and I made a comical appearance. I was too hungry to care, however, after starving since Monday, and such a supper as we had was enough to make one forget all the ills of life. Delicious fresh milk and clabber, sweet yellow butter, with crisp beaten biscuits to go with it, smoking hot waffles, and corn batter cakes brown as a nut and crisped round the edges till they looked as if bordered with lace. It was a feast for hungry souls to remember. After supper we went into the parlor and had music. We tried to sing some of our old rebel songs, but

Results Bibliography
Lomax, Elizabeth Lindsay, 1796-?, Diary of Elizabeth Lindsay Lomax, August, 1854, in Leaves from an Old Washington Diary. Wood, Lindsay Lomax. New York, NY: Books, Inc., 1943, pp. 256. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [8-25-1854] S293-D009

Andrews, Eliza Frances, 1840-1931, Diary of Eliza Frances Andrews, April, 1865, in The War-Time Journal of a Georgia Girl 1864-1865. King, Spencer B., Jr., ed.. New York, NY: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1908, pp. 392. [Bibliographic Details] [4-1-1865] S404-D006

(AMERICAN CIVIL WAR LETTERS AND DIARIES database)
1. Pickett, George Edward. "Letter from George Edward Pickett to LaSalle Corbell Pickett, December 14, 1862"
[Page 64 | Paragraph | Section | Document]

between Richmond and Washington, fortified for us by the hand of the Great Father. I penciled you a note by old Jackerie on the 12th from the foot of the Hills between Hazel Run and the Telegraph Road. In it I sent a hyacinth-- given me by a pretty lady who came out with beaten biscuit-- and some unwritten and written messages from Old Peter and Old Jack, Hood, Ewell, Stuart, and your "brothers," to the "someone" to whom I was writing. My division, nine thousand strong, is in fine shape. It was on the field of battle, as a division, for the first time yesterday,

2. Andrews, Eliza Frances. "Diary of Eliza Frances Andrews, April, 1865"
[Page 169 | Paragraph | Section | Document]

what I could from Metta, but her things don't fit me, and I made a comical appearance. I was too hungry to care, however, after starving since Monday, and such a supper as we had was enough to make one forget all the ills of life. Delicious fresh milk and clabber, sweet yellow butter, with crisp beaten biscuits to go with it, smoking hot waffles, and corn batter cakes brown as a nut and crisped round the edges till they looked as if bordered with lace. It was a feast for hungry souls to remember. After supper we went into the parlor and had music. We tried to sing some of our old rebel songs, but

3. Morgan, Julia. "Memoir of Julia Morgan, 1892"
[Page 86 | Paragraph | Section | Document]

gooberpeas, and sometimes cake, and all kinds of fruits How they would enjoy it, after eating hard bread and bacon, and sometimes beans and cowpeas for days! When they would start back, I would fill their canteens with buttermilk and sorghum molasses, give them a piece of corned beef and some beaten biscuit, and they would feel rich and happy. Our old friend, Gen. John M. Bright, had a son not quite fourteen years old, who gave him great uneasiness. He was well grown for his age, looked older than he was; and as his brothers were in the army, he was anxious to go too,

4. Morgan, Julia. "Memoir of Julia Morgan, 1892"
[Page 107 | Paragraph | Section | Document]

I told them that I would cook two days in each week for the gangrene hospital. They sent me out a number of hams and sacks of flour, and I got Joe to build up a fire under a large kettle I had, and we would boil a number of the hams at once. While they were cooking, we would make up a large lot of beaten biscuit, and the ladies of the Sand Hills were very kind in making frequent donations of delicacies, and the next morning I would start with the nice things, just as happy as I could be to feel that I could minister to the sufferers. Joe would take the express and I the barouche, often well packed,

Results Bibliography
Pickett, George Edward, 1825-1875, Letter from George Edward Pickett to LaSalle Corbell Pickett, December 14, 1862, in The Heart of a Soldier : as Revealed in the Intimate Letters of General George Pickett. Pickett, La Salle Corbell, intro.. New York, NY: Seth Moyle, Inc., 1913, pp. 215. S1617-D010 [Bibliographic Details] [12-14-1862] Picket:L1617-10

Andrews, Eliza Frances, 1840-1931, Diary of Eliza Frances Andrews, April, 1865, in The War-Time Journal of a Georgia Girl 1864-1865. King, Spencer B., Jr., ed.. New York, NY: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1908, pp. 392. S404-D006 [Bibliographic Details] [4-1-1865] Andrew:D404-6

Morgan, Julia, Memoir of Julia Morgan, 1892, in How It Was: Four Years Among the Rebels. Nashville, TN: Privately published, 1892, pp. 204. S2002-D013 [Bibliographic Details] [1892] Morgan:M2002-13

Morgan, Julia, Memoir of Julia Morgan, 1892, in How It Was: Four Years Among the Rebels. Nashville, TN: Privately published, 1892, pp. 204. S2002-D018 [Bibliographic Details] [1892] Morgan:M2002-18

(ACCESSIBLE ARCHIVES and MAKING OF AMERICA-CORNELL databases)
September 3, 1864
THE CHRISTIAN RECORDER
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I remember now just what was in the basket: two slices of boiled ham; four << beaten biscuits>>  baked brown and permeated with butter, to which they had been treated while smoking hot from the oven; two hard-boiled eggs, with a little paper of salt; a small vial of sugar-house molasses, and a bottle of rather blue milk.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
A Journal of Outdoor Life, Travel, Nature Study, Shooting, Fishing, Yachting (1873-1930), New York; Oct 7, 1875; Vol. Volume 5,, Iss. 0
31. VIRGINIA BARBECUES.; Forest and Stream; BY THADDEUS NORRIS.; pg. 130, 1 pgs
("Young squirrels thus cooked with a slice of ham as a condiment, and the cold buttered beaten biscuits, is a dinner fit for a king;...")

       A Journal of Outdoor Life, Travel, Nature Study, Shooting, Fishing, Yachting (1873-1930), New York; Jul 18, 1896; Vol. VOL. XLVII., Iss. 0      2.    CHICAGO AND THE WEST.; Camp "Forest and Stream." ; Forest and Stream; E. HOUGH.; pg. 48, 2 pgs
(Pg. 49:  "We had bacon and eggs of course, and we had Maryland beaten biscuit and cold butter from our spring cold storage.")

A Journal of Outdoor Life, Travel, Nature Study, Shooting, Fishing, Yachting (1873-1930), New York; Sep 7, 1895; Vol. VOL XLV., Iss. 0 3. The Sportsman Tourist.; CAMP FOREST AND STREAM.--II. Proper Preliminaries. ; Forest and Stream; E. HOUGH. 909 SECURITY BUILDING, Chicago.; pg. 200, 2 pgs
(Pg. 200:  "Also we had bacon and eggs and soup and preserved fruit and Maryland beaten biscuit and a great many other things.")