Pound Party (1869)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 25 06:56:08 UTC 2003

   The latest DARE has "pound party" from 1877.  Last one before parking tickets.
   There are a lot of BROOKLYN EAGLE hits in 1875.

   15 February 1869, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 1:
   "Pound parties" are the latest.  Those invited are expected to contribute one pound at least of something to eat.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
Saturday Evening Post (1839-1885), Philadelphia; Apr 22, 1876; Vol. VoL LV., Iss. 0:
11. "THE SOFTBOY PAPERS,"; LULU SOFTBOY TO EDITOR OF EVENING POST. ; LULU SOFTBOY.; pg. 3, 1 pgs:
   Then we had "Blue Teas."  At Blue Teas you must be intellectual.  You must be musical, artistic, or dramatic. (...)
   Then we had "Pudding Lunches." (...)
   Well, then we had the "Pound Party" fever, which is still raging.  Oh, I forgot to say that at the Pudding Lunches you eat pudding either cold or hot.  It is either ice-pudding, or cold plum-pudding with icing, or else it is lemon-pudding, or rice-pudding, in cold frozen slabs with a hot brandy sauce.  And you lunch, and you chat, and you eat philopeanas of almonds, and read French _bon-mots_ tied up in _bonbons_.  It is all very nice.  But at the Pound Party--as by this time I ought to have said--everybody is expected to bring a pound of something, no matter what, and at any hour between eight and twelve at night you may put in an appearance.

(If the ADS were to hold a "Pound Party," I'm sure someone would bring reading material from Ezra or Louise Pound--ed.)