JEEP a Brand name?

Fri Apr 25 18:59:15 UTC 2003

Allan sounds pretty sure about this one, but it is exceedingly rare for a
truly "generic" word to become a trademark. In fact, it is my understanding
that federal law (since the 1940s) explicitly forbids it.

There was a case early in the 20th century in which Singer was declared
"generic" by the courts and then later was declared not generic after all.

Allan, do you have the court citations for your jeep assertion? I don't doubt
your understanding, I'd just like to know the particulars.