Mixed Nuts(1880); Steak Sauce(1902); Pink Vodka Sauce(1988); Stone Soup

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 28 00:34:06 UTC 2003

MIXED NUTS

   Of interested to the peanut and cashew people out there, plus assorted crazies.

  Display Ad 4 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 13, 1880; pg. 4, 1 pgs

  Display Ad 4 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 7, 1880; pg. 4, 1 pgs

  Display Ad 4 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 6, 1880; pg. 4, 1 pgs

  Display Ad 4 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Nov 27, 1880; pg. 4, 1 pgs

  Display Ad 4 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Nov 24, 1880; pg. 4, 1 pgs
("6 lbs. Choice Mixed Nuts (all new) for...$1.00")

STEAK SAUCE

   20 July 1902, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 28:
   Harvey Sauce...............29c
   C. & B. Beef Steak Sauce...27c

PINK VODKA SAUCE

   Google has 664 hits for "pink vodka sauce."  It's served with penne pasta.  Not many hits in ProQuest, though.  Los Angeles and Chicago surely have earlier.

  Personal-Size Pizza in Briarcliff Manor; By M.H. REED, BRIARCLIFF MANOR; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Mar 21, 1999; pg. 646, 1 pgs

  A Song in the Air, and Pizza on the Menu; WENDY GINSBERG; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Dec 20, 1998; pg. NJ26, 1 pgs

  Princeton: A Wilsonian Reminder; By ANNE SEMMES; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Feb 28, 1988; pg. 692, 1 pgs

STONE SOUP

   Not in OED.  There are 53,700 "stone soup" hits on Google.  It's perhaps more a culinary yarn than an actual soup, but it gets cited and offered on (ironic?) menus somewhat often.  It has a proverbial meaning that should be recorded by OED.

   18 May 1872, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 2:
   Like the Frenchman's stone soup, the stones didn't cost much, but the vermicelli and other ingredients did.  He could make stone soup cost as much as turtle soup.

   29 March 1896, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 23:
   When P. I. Sceysmah, whom, it may be explained, his fellow citizens esteemed to be stingier than stone soup,...

  TRY THIS ON YOUR NEXT MENU.; "Synthetic Soup" Eliminates Meat From the First Dinner Course.; From the Cleveland Plain Dealer.; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Jan 9, 1917; pg. 6, 1 pgs
("They insisted upon tasting the 'stone soup,' and pronounced it good.")

(GOOGLE GROUPS)