"A woman without a man" proverb

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Apr 28 17:36:00 UTC 2003

        The identity of the ungodly philosopher seems lost to, if not history, then at least Google.  Here's the most detailed online account, from http://archives.emazing.com/archives/womanday/2001-06-21:

        Or perhaps not.  Here's a rival account, from http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/unknown.htm:

        >>Man needs God like a fish needs a bicycle.
-- Men's-room graffito in a Berkeley, California bar during the late 1960s, quoted by Robert Anton Wilson in Cosmic Trigger. This was later bastardized by feminists to read: "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" or something along those lines.<<

John Baker