Ham Sandwich (1825); Special Sauce

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 30 02:13:39 UTC 2003

SPECIAL SAUCE

   Francatelli, the chef to Queen Victoria, might have popularized "special sauce."
   I have not seen the next volume of the HISTORICAL DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN SLANG, but OED has "sauce" (liquor) from 1940.  After the McDonald's commercial came out in the 1970s, "special sauce" became humorous catch words, like "the colonel's secret recipe."  It was used very often for the slang sense ("The bartender has prepared a special sauce").
   OED has a lot of "special" entries.  I can't argue that "special sauce" is any more or less deserving than "special forces" or "midnight special."  If "special sauce" doesn't make the OED and doesn't make HDAS and doesn't make any other dictionary, again, my personal apologies for the "special sauce" post.

HAM SANDWICH

   THE AMERICAN HISTORY COOKBOOK (2003) does have an "Index of Recipes by States."  I meant that the information wasn't presented in a state or a regional format.  Page 138 has "HAM SANDWICHES (1837)," adding "This is the earliest printed sandwich recipe I know, and it comes from _Directions for Cookery_ by Eliza Leslie."
   It is not the first "ham sandwich."  I have a special interest in ham sandwiches, having discussed its legal implications last year.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
The New Monthly Magazine and Literary Journal. American Ed. (1821-1834), Boston; 1825; Vol. 10, Iss. 58
   Song; C; pg. 379, 1 pgs
   The wine cellar; L; pg. 375, 5 pgs
(Pg. 379:  "...and Mr. B--l, the founder of the banquet, sedulously doing the honours with only intenser civility, and calling out for fresh store of ham sandwiches and broiled mushrooms, to enable us to do justice to the liquid delicacies before us.")