"Joe Doakes" in Circus Slang (1919)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 4 00:04:27 UTC 2003

   I has typed all these slang items together.  I'm pretty tired.  I've been going at it for the past half hour.  Then I pressed SEND and the iMAC shut down and destroyed everything.
   Oh well, I'll do it all again.

      Circus Slang.
              Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 2, 1919.                   p. III24 (1 page)
   In the vernacular of the circus the show grounds are always the "lot;" the main tent is the "big top." the one containing the sideshows, "kid top," the sawdust covered ring, the "tan bark;" and the dressing-rooms, "pad rooms."
   "Joe Doakes" is the ringmaster, "jovies" or "joys" are clowns; a "kinker" is any one who performs but has no feature act.  men working on the seats work "in the lumber camp."
   The band is the "big noise" or "horn gang," the band wagon "flash;" concert, "blower;" animal wagon, "den;" elephants, "bulls," animals such as lions, tigers, leap.

(Was the last line cut off?--ed.)