"Jazz" in the LATimes, 1912 & 1917

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Aug 4 23:02:04 UTC 2003

>>Does this mean that Jerry owes you, what, $100? $1000? What
>>was the posted reward?
>>
>>Jesse Sheidlower
>>OED
>
>     The reward was one-hundred dollars, and I shall very cheerfully
>send George Thompson a check for that amount tomorrow. I'm amazed
>that a pre-1913 attestation has turned up, and I look forward to
>seeing the actual article.
>
>Gerald Cohen

I note that the offer (from Jerry) with which I am familiar (29 March 2001)
offered $100 for an example of "jazz" prior to 1913 *in a musical or sexual
sense.* The offer did not include baseball senses AFAIK (for very good
reason ... if baseball usages occurred in 1913, why shouldn't they have
occurred in 1912?). I don't know whether a different offer was made
elsewhere/elsewhen.

-- Doug Wilson