y'all

Tony McCoy O'Grady maxiogee at ESATCLEAR.IE
Tue Aug 5 16:57:31 UTC 2003

On Dé Máirt, Lún 5, 2003, at 12:48 Europe/Dublin, Prof. R. Sussex wrote:

> I'd like to ask whether y'all is unmarked in plural address, and in
> what senses it can be used in singular address, if indeed it can be.
> The parallel youse in Australia is usually plural, but can sometimes
> be used for singular address. Strange differences from T/V!

"Yous" is also used in Ireland in speech, but would never be seen
written.

I have just recently heard in a store in Dublin, Ireland the expression
"Yous'r" as a plural possessive --- "Yous'r jobs are a cushy number,
sitting watching videos all day". The person speaking did not seem
uncomfortable with the formation and nobody asked him for clarification.

Tony McCoy O'Grady