Fabloid; Arugula/Rucola (1903)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 7 08:56:12 UTC 2003

   Ancestry.com adds more newspapers every day, and it just added some from
Middletown, NY, in the 1890s.  I looked for "fudge."  There was one hit.  It
turned out to be for the word "judge."
   As a judge myself, I can tell you that they're not--well, maybe they are
the same.

FABLOID

   "Fabloid" was in the cover story in Wednesday's USA TODAY.  It's a
supermarket "tabloid" that tells "fabulous" tales.
   Google has only 41 hits, with many for "nasal fabloid surgery."
   Google Groups (16 total hits) has 1999 hits in rec.music.beatles, where
this means the "tabloid" press that covers the "Fab Four."  Two hits (2002 and
2003) are in uk.politics.misc.  Is the absolutely fabulous "fabloid" British?

ARUGULA/RUCOLA

   I was asked to beat my prior post here (1950s), under any spelling.
JSTOR's technical journals should have helped here, but they didn't.

THE BOOK OF HERBS
by Lady Rosalind Northcote
London: John Lane
1903

Pg. 79:
      ROCKET (_Eruca sativa_).
   Various plants claim the name of Rocket, but it was _Eruca sativa_ that
was used as a salad herb.  Parkinson explains the Italian name _Ruchetta_ and
_Rucola Gentile_ thus:  "This Rocket Gentle, so-called from the _Italians_, who
by that title of Gentle understand anything that maketh one quicke and ready
to jest, to play."  It is certainly not specially gentle in the ordinary sense
of the words, for it has leaves "like those of Turneps, but neere so great nor
rough"; and if eaten alone, "it causeth head-ache and heateth too much."  It
is, however, good in Salads of Lettuce, Purslane, "and such cold herbes," and
Turner observes that "some use the sede for sauce, the whiche that it may last
the longer, they knede it with milke or vinegre, and make it into little
cakes."  It has a strong peculiar smell, and is no longer used in England; though
Loudon says that in some places on the Continent it makes "an agreeable
addition to cresses and mustard in early spring."