Jasbo, Jazzbo derived from jasper=strange guy

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 8 18:50:37 UTC 2003

In a message dated 8/8/2003 12:15:45 PM Central Standard Time,
zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU writes:

> dale coye suggests an r-less source of jasbo/jazzbo from jasper.
> possibly, but there's also the nickname suffix -bo as a possibility.
> (what does anybody know about *this*?  is it related to "boy"?)  jimbo
> for james/jim is well attested

There's also sambo, which OED1 (sorry I'm not more up to date) shows from Sp.
going back to the 18th c., applied to mulattos at first, then more generally
to all blacks.