Antedating? of "spiggoty" (1908)

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Fri Aug 8 20:32:23 UTC 2003

The OED has a listing of "spiggoty" from 1910.  Unless I'm missing
something, it is assumed that this may be the origin of the derrogatory term
"spik" or "spic" as applied to peoples of Latin American origin.

Using ancestry.com, there is an announcement in the Trenton Evening
Times(NJ) from March 12, 1908, advetising a story in the current SATURDAY
EVENING POST.  The blurb reads.....

SPIGOTTY(title)
    "Sam" Blythe went down for us, and shook hands with the Panama Canal.
He is a different kind of reporter---is Blythe, and he has given us a
diffferent kind of story.
   The first article is "Life in Spigotty Land."  It doesn't tell much about
the Canal itself, not much about gradients and cubic feet and plumblines;
it's mostly about the cheerful social side of the life down there."
<snip> " But read the whole article.  I is only one good choice out of
thirty-two pages of interesting stuff in this week's issue of The SATURDAY
EVENING POST, now on sale."

My local libraries don't have the SEP that far back.  Can someone read this
article and report back?

Thanks.

Sam Clements