The Decline of the Dictionary

Robert Hartwell Fiske Vocabula at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 9 16:44:39 UTC 2003

One ADS member privately pointed out to me that the sentence:

People using "disinterested" when they mean "uninterested" do not displease a
descriptivist.

The subject of the sentence, she wrote,  is the gerund "using," and as you
know, a noun or pronoun that modifies a gerund takes the possessive case.  The
verb should agree with the subject gerund "using" rather than its modifier
"people."  The correct sentence would read:

People's using "disinterested" when they mean "uninterested" does not
displease a descriptivist."

I replied to her -- and mention this now to spare others from having to make
this particular criticism of my article -- that I had "does." Someone at TWS
changed it to "do" after I signed off on the article. They also added the title
"Don't Look It Up!: The Decline of the Dictionary" which I don't much care
for.

Robert Hartwell Fiske
Editor and Publisher
The Vocabula Review