far out...

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sun Aug 10 01:38:04 UTC 2003

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Geoffrey Nunberg wrote:

#Well, but the equation of "no one" and "no one I know" is always a
#risky one, which is why it's always a good idea to check your facts,
#particularly nowadays, when they're just a couple of clicks away.

        [...]

#Serious prescriptivists like Fowler and Follett did their homework
#before pronouncing on the language. It gives you pause to think what
#dictionaries would look like if they were compiled on Fiskean
#principles: "Well, in my set people say..."

"Everyone generalizes from a sample of one. At least, I do."
        -- Steven K. Z. Brust

-- Mark A. Mandel