"Frankfurter Roll" (NY Sun, Herald, 1904)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 12 00:43:49 UTC 2003

   Both of these obituaries give his name as Ignatz Frischmann.  The NEW YORK TIMES had Frischman.  The online BROOKLYN EAGLE has some items for Ignatz Frischmann, so that's probably the spelling.
   Frischmann (or Frischman) died at age 53 (or 54).
   Both "Ignatz Frischman" and "Ignatz Frischmann" turn up zero Google hits.  This is new stuff.

   7 March 1904, NEW YORK SUN, pg. 3, col. 4:
   Ignatz Frischmann, the pioneer baker of Coney Island, died at his home 182 Prospect Park West on Saturday, in his fifty-fourth year.  He was the man who invented the roll that made the frankfurter and the seaside Bowery famous.  He was a veteran Volunteer fireman and a trustee of the Hebrew Church Society of Coney Island.  He is survived by a widow and one son.  Funeral services will be held on Tuesday at his late residence.  Interment will be at Washington Cemetery.

   7 March 1904, NEW YORK HERALD, pg. 1, col. 4:
   _IGNATZ FRISCHMANN DEAD._
_Original Vienna Roll Man at Coney_
   _Island Expires After a_
      _Long Illness._
   Ignatz Frischmann, fifty-three years old, died at his home, No. 182 Prospect Park West, Brooklyn, Saturday afternoon, after a lingering illness.  He was Coney Island's pioneer baker, and the man who invented the roll that made the frankfurter famous at that resort.
   Mr. Frischmann was born in Austria, and on his arrival in this country established a baking business at the resort, becoming the firm friend and supporter of John T. McKane.  Even at that early date the frankfurter was an institution at Coney Island.  The shrewd baker saw a chance to make a hit, and invented the long, narrow--and what has since become very lean--Vienna roll.  These he sold to the frankfurter men in small quantities for a while, and at a small profit, until they became the only means by which the frankfurter could be sold.  From a daily sale of ten dozen during the rish season, the industry rose to a maximum sale of more than one hundred thousand rolls a day last summer.
   Mr. Frischmann was at one time rated by Bradstreet as one of the wealthiest men doing business at the resort.  He is survived by a widow and one son.

MAYBE "NEW YORK'S HOMETOWN PAPER" CAN KILL ME?
(Eternal Agony, continued.  1908 this time.  It never ends)

SUBURBAN
LEFT COLD BY RED HOTS Famous frank had no Mass. appeal
MICHELE MCPHEE DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
542 words
New York Daily News
SPORTS FINAL
1
English
Copyright (c) 2003 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.

On a hot summer day in July - as the line to Nathan's historic restaurand on Coney Island snaked along Surf Ave. - Jarrid Falke from Massachusetts bit into a hot dog and scowled.

"This isn't a Coney Island hot dog," said Falke, 26, of Webster, spitting the partially chewed grilled frankfurter into a napkin. "They have better hot dogs at Coney Island Hot Dog."

But the Coney Island Hot Dog stand Falke was talking about isn't anywhere near the surf and sand along Brooklyn's internationally famous Boardwalk.

His Coney Island Hot Dog takes over a corner in Worcester, a hardscrabble Massachusetts city about an hour west of Boston. And despite a 50-foot-high neon sign depicting a hot dog dripping with mustard reading "Coney Island," the owners of the Worcester landmark have never even been to Brooklyn.

"People come in here all the time from New York, and they want to know why we don't have sauerkraut. Some even ask us 'Where's the Boardwalk?' " said Kathryn Tsagarelis, who now runs the business started by her grandfather George in 1918 - when hot dogs were a nickel.

"I have never been to Coney Island, but I'd love to go to Brooklyn," Tsagerelis said. "Especially considering it was the place that invented hot dogs, and it's where my grandfather got the name."

Murky history

The history of the hot dog is somewhat murky. Some weiner aficionados insist the frankfurter was created in Frankfurt, Germany - a city that celebrated the 500th birthday of the hot dog in 1987.

Other hot dog historians say the name hot dog was coined at the New York Polo Grounds in 1908, where sausage vendors screamed, "Get Your Red Hots Here," prompting sports cartoonist Tad Dorgan to draw a cartoon of barking dachshund-shaped sausages wrapped in rolls with the caption "hot dogs."

Nathan's roots

What is not disputed, however, is that in 1871, immigrant Charles Feltman opened the country's first hot dog stand in Coney Island, calling it Feltman's German Gardens.

In 1914, an enterprising worker at Feltman's - Nathan Handwerker - and his two pals, heartthrob crooners Jimmy Durante and Eddie Cantor, were complaining that the German butcher had a lot of gall charging 10 cents for hot dogs.

Hence Nathan's Famous was born.

Last week, the Daily News visited Coney Island Hot Dogs in Worcester to see what Falke was boasting about.

The famed $1.15 Coney Island dog, served in a steamed roll covered in mustard, onions and George Tsagerelis' secret chili - a family recipe guarded for nearly a century - was wonderful.

"Brooklyn's Coney Island hot dogs may have the sand," Kathryn Tsagerelis said. "But we have the sauce."

Falke agreed - after eating nine Coney Island dogs.

"Next July, I'm going to be back in Brooklyn entering the hot- dog eating contest," he said, his face stained with mustard and chili sauce. "Maybe I'll bring my own."

Caption: SARAH BREZINSKY DOGGED CRITIC Jarrid Falke has hands full of what he considers real Coney Island hot dogs - with mustard, onions and chili - outside Worcester, Mass., stand.