Loose Meat & Tavern Sandwiches (1951)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 14 06:48:25 UTC 2003

LOOSE MEAT & TAVERN SANDWICHES

   This is an earlier "loose meat" than I'd posted before.
   I don't know what the next DARE has for "tavern" and hope this helps.
"Tavern" is not mentioned in John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICA FOOD AND
DRINK (1999).

http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/taylor/topics/localwords.htm
From:    majohnso at inst.augie.edu (Mary Johnson):
Hi, what a great idea for a project. I just have a couple different
words to add to your list. I teach in an elementary school in Sioux
Falls, South Dakota. I grew up on a farm in South Dakota. Here is our
version of some of your examples. We eat subs and drink pop, a
milkshake has ice cream in it and we put our groceries in a paper bag or
sack. Here are a couple new ones for you. The area where I grew up
called a loose-meat sandwhich with tomato sauce, ketchup, etc. on a bun,
a "tavern". This sandwhich is also known as a "Sloppy Joe", a "BBQ" in
Sioux Falls, and a "Made Right" in parts of Iowa. Growing up on a farm,
the meals of the day were called Breakfast, Dinner(noon),
Supper(evening), and Lunch was an afternoon snack. Whereas most people
call the noon meal Lunch.

   27 July 1951, LEMARS SEMI WEEKLY SENTINEL (Le Mars, Iowa), pg. 1, col. 3:
   When asked about student preferences, Miss Watson replied "I think they
prefer loose meat sandwiches, such as taverns."

   20 August 1953, LEMARS GLOBE-POST (Le Mars, Iowa), pg. 8?, col. 3:
   (HAM SANDWICHES---TAVERNS---
   ICE CREAM--CAKE--COFFEE)

   19 August 1954, LEMARS GLOBE-POST (Le Mars, Iowa), pg.1, col 7:
   Serving ham sandwiches, taverns, hot dogs, ice cream, cake and coffee.

   2 September 1954, HAWARDEN INDEPENDENT (Hawarden, Iowa), pg. 2?, col. 1:
   Baked Ham Sandwiches, Taverns, Hot Dogs, Home Made Pies and Coffee will be
served.

   15 July 1957, HARLAN NEWS ADVERTISER (Harlan, Iowa), pg.1, col. 4:
   The menu calls for loose meat sandwiches, hot dogs, potato chips, soft
drinks, ice cream and milk, Wigness said.

OT: PERSONAL

   I sent the information about the "frankfurter roll," as usual, to the
National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, for free.  There was no response.
   I attended Temple Beth El in Spring Valley back in the 1970s, and the
rabbi (now retired) was Louis Frischman.  Perhaps he is related to the Frischman
"frankfurter roll" man from Brooklyn, perhaps not.  Anyway, I haven't seen him
since my parents passed away, and I just thought I'd send him an e-mail and
ask.  I sent a friendly e-mail to the Temple.  I wrote that I'm working on the
OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK, and added that I'd submitted to
the Oxford English Dictionary the first English citations of many important
Jewish terms, including "Bat Mitzvah" and "Bar Mitzvah."  There was no
response.  When I send this wonderful stuff to organizations like this..I mean, when
even YOUR RABBI doesn't respond to you...
   The New York Post has its Liberty Medals again this year for "unsung New
Yorkers."  I probably won't be nominated, but I guarantee you, if they had
eight million awards to give out, I still wouldn't win.  Cindy Adams, I think, is
still a judge, and I ticked her off last year by informing her she didn't coin
"Only in New York."  I'll bet not a single other contest judge has even heard
of me, even though "the Big Apple" was in the Post.
   PARKING TICKETS:  There's a hiring freeze, and the city is short judges.
Nevertheless, they're still firing judges they don't like, for whatever
reason.  We're "independent contractors," and the city can fire any of us for no
reason at all.  There was a memo recently that told us the new policy is that
they want each of us to work at least two (or more) days a week.  This was meant
as a part-time gig, but they want per diem full-timers without paying any
benefits.  Some judges who said they won't work more often were summarily fired;
others, who said the same thing but that they still like, have been kept.
   My best friend has been judge William Merklin.  He's always worked four or
five days a week, for 10+ years.  Wherever I've traveled, he's told me that
he'd "been there with the Air Force in WWII."  Malta--been there with the Air
Force.  Mongolia, Tibet?  Sure, Air Force.  Uzbekistan--c'mon, Bill!
   He told me that the city should be happy to have us, and that we don't
have to take this shit.  We don't have to beg for air conditioning.  If we're
scheduled for an hour lunch, we don't have to take a half hour.  If we're
scheduled from 8:30-4:30 p.m., we don't have to work to 7 p.m., as they need us
because they're short judges.  And if we do work to 7 p.m., we should get
time-and-a-half.
   This week he was fired.