Antedating of "Pazzazz"(1915) and an interesting cite for "jazz"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Aug 14 14:14:54 UTC 2003

Yes, I quoted "the old jazz" from 1913, although previous work on
those quotes was done by Peter Tamony and Dick Holbrook (fully
acknowledged in my writings on "jazz").

    Still, the 1915 "jazz" quote noticed by Sam Clements is important
as a piece of the puzzle; the 1915 article cited by Clements shows
that two years after Scoop Gleeson's dramatic introduction of the
term "jazz" to the public, the term was still in use in the San
Francisco Bulletin and now, very limitedly, elsewhere (Wichita, TX).
Of course, in a few years it was crowded out by the term "jazz" in
its musical sense.

     As for "pazazz" in the 1915 article, the term doesn't have the
exact same meaning as the present "pizzazz," but it seems to be
ultimately the same word. OED, btw, presents varying spellings of
"pizzazz."

Gerald Cohen