I-tal or Ital; Rasta Pasta

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 17 02:02:20 UTC 2003

ITAL OR I-TAL

    I got into a discussion with a parking ticket respondent about Jamaican food, and he suggested that I research "ital" or "i-tal."  I told him that I haven't done Jamaican food because I consider that Fred Cassidy territory, but he insisted that "i-tal" was recent.
    I went to the New York Public Library and took out all the books on Jamaican food.  I asked Fred Cassidy (in the heavens above) if this was OK.  The next thing I know, the power went out for fifty million people.
    There are 2,270 Google hits for "ital and food and Jamaica."  "Ital" is not in the recent ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FOOD AND CULTURE (2003), nor is it in the OXFORD COMPANION TO FOOD (1999).  It's not in the OED.
    There are many Jamaicans in the United States, so "ital" could possibly be included in an encyclopedia of American food.

 (DICTIONARY OF CARIBBEAN ENGLISH USAGE, 1996)
 Pg. 308:
 i.tal...(CarA)[Rastaf] Any vegetable, fruit or naturally produced food as distinct from fish or animal flesh; such food cooked without salt.

 (GOOGLE)
 http://www.jamaicans.com/culture/rasta/ital_food.htm
   Ital Food
 Ital food is derived from the word "vital food" (Self-determination of the black race resulted in the Rastafarians usage of the word 'I" to replace the first letter of many words). Ital food means it is natural, pure and clean food. For a Rastafarian it means no salt, no chemicals, no flesh, no blood, no whites (called whiteblood), no alcohol, no cigarettes and no drugs (herbs are not considered drugs).

 Rastafarians avoid salt, oil and meat. Their dietary laws are similar to the laws followed by Jews in Leviticus 11. Fish must be less than a foot long. No shell fish or fish without scales. Pork is especially condemned amongst Rastafarians. It is so important to not put the wrong thing in your body that some Rastafarians never cook in aluminum pots as it is said to leave traces of metal in the food that can get in your body. Cooking in a clay pot is popular among Rastafarians.

 Rastafarians see their food as a way to be one with nature and also as medicine for the body, as it builds your "strucha" (Patois or the word structure). There are also strict hygienic laws that Rastafarians follow.

 (PROQUEST DIRECT)
  The Roots and the Practices of New Cult:[Home Edition]
 NIKKI FINKE. The Los Angeles Times (Pre-1997 Fulltext). Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 15, 1987.  pg. 1
 Author(s): NIKKI FINKE
 Section: View; 6; View Desk
 Publication title: The Los Angeles Times (Pre-1997 Fulltext). Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 15, 1987.  pg. 1
 (...)
 Many, but not all, refuse to cut or comb their hair (but it is washed) in keeping with their interpretation of the Bible. Some Rastamen are vegetarian or even fruitarians in an attempt to pursue an "I-tal," or natural, diet; others aren't. Some avoid all work; others are Jamaica's finest artisans. Some smoke copious amounts of ganja, the Rasta word for marijuana, seeing it as a spiritually enlightening practice, and even grow it as a cash crop; others don't use any drugs at all. But nearly all talk in a peculiar Rasta patois made up of created words such as as overstand, the word for understand, and downpresser, which means oppressor; the ever-present pronoun I and biblical references to Babylon and Armageddon.

(TRADEMARKS)
 I-TAL
 Translations
The term "I-Tal" is a foreign slang term, which is interpreted to mean "vital" or "total" in English.
 Goods and Services
(ABANDONED) IC  041.  US 107.  G & S: Entertainment Services-Namely, Live Performances by a Vocal and Instrumental Group. FIRST USE: 19781130.  FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19810331
Mark Drawing Code
(1) TYPED DRAWING
 Serial Number
73367958
 Filing Date
June 4, 1982
 Published for Opposition
 November 8, 1983
 Owner
(APPLICANT) I-Tal Ites, Inc. CORPORATION OHIO Suite 10 2765 Lancashire Rd. Cleveland Heights OHIO 44106
 Attorney of Record
Kenneth D. Petrey
 Type of Mark
SERVICE MARK
PRINCIPAL
 Live/Dead Indicator
DEAD
 Abandonment Date
November 30, 1984

(TRADEMARKS)
 Word Mark
 I-TAL CRUCIAL REGGAE & RUBADUB
 Goods and Services
(ABANDONED) IC  041.  US 107.  G & S: Entertainment Services by a Vocal and Instrumental Group.  FIRST USE: 19810731.  FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19810731
 Mark Drawing Code
(3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
 Design Search Code
250301 260102 260112
 Serial Number
73367959
 Filing Date
June 4, 1982
 Published for Opposition
 December 6, 1983
 Owner
(APPLICANT) I-Tal Ites, Inc. CORPORATION OHIO Suite 10 2765 Lancashire Cleveland Heights OHIO 44106
 Attorney of Record
Kenneth D. Petrey
 Disclaimer
No claim is made to the exclusive right to use the words "Crucial Reggae" and "Rubadub", apart from the mark as shown.
 Description of Mark
The lining shown in the mark on the drawing is a feature of the mark and does not indicate color.
 Type of Mark
SERVICE MARK
PRINCIPAL
 Live/Dead Indicator
DEAD
 Abandonment Date
March 11, 1985

(TRADEMARKS)
 Word Mark
 JAMAICAN DREAD TOURIST CLASS "DE REAL TING, MON IRIE, ITAL, IRRESISTABLE"
Goods and Services
(ABANDONED) IC  030.  US 046.  G & S: condiments, sauces, spices, cocoa, coffee, tea, sugar.  FIRST USE: 19950323.  FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950323
(ABANDONED) IC  003.  US 001 004 006 050 051 052.  G & S: beauty products.  FIRST USE: 19950323.  FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950323
 Mark Drawing Code
(3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
 Design Search Code
020133 160301
 Serial Number
75030639
 Filing Date
December 11, 1995
 Owner
(APPLICANT) Caribbean Jewels, Ltd. CORPORATION MICHIGAN 616 Church Street Ann Arbor MICHIGAN 48104
 Type of Mark
TRADEMARK
PRINCIPAL
 Live/Dead Indicator
DEAD
 Abandonment Date
January 2, 1997

 RASTA PASTA

    There are 2,350 Google hits.  It's a pasta with lots of local veggies.
   There were only three trademarks (from 1993), but they weren't too interesting.
    Try this from RecipeSource (formerly SOAR):

 http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/pasta/00/rec0038.html

 (PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    1. The Long Lines Are Worth It
 By PATRICIA BROOKS. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 20, 1985. p. CN29 (1 page)
   HOT TOMATO'S may be the best thing to happen in New Haven since the Yale Center for British Art opened its doors a few years ago. (...)
   Rasta pasta, for instance, turns out to be fettuccine primavera adorned iwth broccoli, carrots, scallions and red peppers, engulfed in a pesto and creamy Alfredo sauce, with toasted pine nuts and, for decoration, a sprig of fresh thyme.  A pesto or Alfredo sauce alone would have sufficed.  Nevertheless, the dish dazzled deliciously.

    2. The Year's Best Eating
 By PATRICIA BROOKS. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 29, 1985. p. CN13 (1 page)
   _Hot Tomato's_, 11195 Chapel Street. New Haven (789=8468), is noisy, trendy and fun, with a notable pasta pomidoro, rasta pasta and veal chop stuffed with pine nuts and spinach, among other memorables.

 (PROQUEST DIRECT)
  Mail-Order Gourmet
 Sapolin, Donna. Metropolitan Home. New York: Mar 1989. Vol. 21, Iss. 3;  pg. 135
 Subjects: Recipes,  Mail order,  Food
 Author(s): Sapolin, Donna
 Article types: Feature
 Publication title: Metropolitan Home. New York: Mar 1989. Vol. 21, Iss. 3;  pg. 135
 Abstract (Article Summary)