"Paper of Record" newspapers (great for Canada, Mexico, awful for US)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 18 06:04:53 UTC 2003

   PAPER OF RECORD is somewhat like the Ancestry.com newspapers.
(Ancestry.com hasn't added a newspaper in about a week.)  See:

http://www.paperofrecord.com/Default.asp

   The selection is very. very limited now, but what's being promised sounds
intriguing.
   It has THE SPORTING NEWS 1886-1981 (partial)--which means 1886, 1938,
1961, and 1981 years only.
   The WASHINGTON STAR 1852-1890 is of interest.  Massachusetts consists
solely of the WORCESTER EVENING GAZETTE and the WORCESTER TELEGRAM, both for the
one year of 1953.  New York--well, the NEW YORK EXAMINER of 1843 is promised.
What more do you want?  Pennsylvania has the WILLIAMSPORT SUNDAY GRIT
1882-1915 and that's it.  There's one Tennessee newspaper--that classic EL EVANGELISTA
MEXICANO for 1893.
    That's about it for the U.S.
    The good news is that it's offering (or will offer) a large selection of
Canadian and Mexican newspapers.  Take a look at the titles.
     I paid the $16.95 for a 31-day subscription.  I still don't know how to
search a single item.  You have to search each newspaper individually, and
even there you're given only a five-year window for searching.  When I press
search, it asks for my ID and password that I already gave.  When I give them
again, I get the welcome screen again.  The thing is a mess.
   I'll report back when I get the thing working.  If anybody wants me to
search for something in its newspapers, let me know.