Oregon--Land of the Big Red Apples (1850s)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 18 22:25:14 UTC 2003

      The introduction of early Oregon newspapers to the Ancestry.com database causes us to take another look at Oregon, "Land of the Big Red Apple."  The nickname would be used by Missouri in the 1890s, and then later by Washington State and British Columbia.  "Land of the Big Red Apple" certainly was well known by the 1920s, but it's entirely forgotten today.
      I have much more information, but I'll list just the Oregon material here, with one Missouri citation added.

     22 November 1862, MORNING OREGONIAN (Portland, Oregon), pg.4?, col. 2:
     We would suppose that the mountains were nearly deserted, seeing the number of men that have passed here on their way to the land of "big red apples."

      THE NORTHWEST.
       J F.       Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Apr 18, 1891.                   p. 4 (1 page)
   And it ought to result in immense benefit to the people personally, as well as to the State, for Oregon is admirably adapted to fruit and vegetable culture in soil, climate and water.  Not only can she produce the "big red apple," which earned for her so excellent a name in California in "the fifties," but most of the deciduous fruits of any spot in the temperate zone find here congenial conditions and grow to perfection.

       Ye Tale of 9,000 Miles of Apples
               New York Times  (1857-Current file).       New York, N.Y.: Dec 12, 1909.                   p. SM10 (1 page)
    Many of the Southern apples are raised in the Middle States, and Missouri, which is famous as the "land of the big red apple," produces winesaps and Davises by the carload.

       THIS WEEK'S FREE LECTURES
               New York Times  (1857-Current file).       New York, N.Y.: Feb 11, 1912.                   p. C12 (1 page)
         OREGON, THE LAND OF THE BIG RED APPLE, by James R. Lynch, Metropolitan Temple, Seventh Avenue and Fourteenth Street, 8:15 P. M.