Baltimore Pie; Hello

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 18 23:20:22 UTC 2003

BALTIMORE PIE

   There's been a request for "Baltimore Pie":

        In a message dated 7/27/03 10:41:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Bapopik writes:
10 March 1923, LOS ANGELES TIMES, pg. II9:
   BALTIMORE PIE...
(...)
 Anyway, would you please be able to provide information on the above entry for Baltimore Pie?

      PRACTICAL RECIPES
              Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 10, 1923.                   p. II9 (1 page)
      _BALTIMORE PIE_
   Mrs. F., Pasadena. asks that we give recipes for Baltimore pie and guava ice.
   Beat to a cream one-third of a cup of butter and beat into it one cup of sugar and when well-creamed beat in slowly two well-beaten eggs.  Sift two cups of sifted flour with two and a half level teaspoons of baking powder and one-quarter of a teaspoon of salt.  Add the flour mixture to the first mixture alternately with one-half cup of milk and beat smooth.  Add the grated rind of half a lemon and mix well.  Bake in two layers in a moderate oven.  Beat the whites of two eggs to a stiff froth.  Boil one and a half cups of sugar with half a cup of water until it will spin a thread when a little is dropped from the side of a spoon and beat it slowly into the stiffly beaten egg whites, beat until it will hold its shape.  Beat into this half a cup of chopped walnut meats, half a cup of chopped dried figs, half a cup of seedless raisins and the grated rind of one orange.  Spread this mixture between the layers of the cooled cake, dust the top with powdered sugar and mark with the back of a knife.

HELLO (continued)

   My parking judge friend Bill Merklin (recently dismissed with several other older people in the usual senseless city government age discrimination "housecleaning") has greeted me with this after every overseas trip.
   "Did you get a little 'hello'?"
   I always told him that the people were friendly.
   "Don't tell me that the people were friendly!  Did you get a little 'hello'??"