Frickles (fried pickles, 1984)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 24 04:07:08 UTC 2003

   Spotted at a NYC restaurant.  I didn't see a trademark.  From ProQuest newspapers:

      Down South, They Aren't Afraid To Fry a Thing -- Including Pickles
       By John Marcom Jr..       Wall Street Journal (Eastern edition).       New York, N.Y.: Jun 29, 1984.                   p. 1
(...)
H.J. Heinz Co., a major source of the recipe's main ingredient, says hotels and restaurants are buying more pickles to make what Heinz calls "frickles." The company thinks it can score twice. "I don't know that it's the world's favorite recipe, but we don't care as long as they use ketchup" with it, says a spokeswoman. (Mrs. Colebank says she has never seen anyone use ketchup on fried pickles.)

(GOOGLE)
http://www.bookloons.com/Database/NonFiction_Review_of_Grilling_America_by_Browne.html
Grilling America                        by Rick Browne

Order:  US   Can

                    Regan, 2003 (2003)
                     Hardcover
Reviewed by Mary Ann Smyth

Grilling America shares the best in 'Que' that Rick Browne and his wife Kathy discovered in five years of travel across America's heartland. 'No longer is GREAT BARBEQUE indigenous only south of the Mason-Dixon Line. World-class pork ribs can be found in Seattle, Syracuse, or Sacramento. Today, whole hogs, once the exclusive domain of the Deep South, are barbecued in pits from Rockport, Maine, to Rock Port, Missouri, to Rockport, Washington.'

Starting with detailed instructions for getting your grill ready and judging its temperature without a thermometer (chancy in my view), this wonderful cookbook moves on to recipes and to Rick Browne's mouthwatering photographs. The Appetizers section offers Armadillo Eggs - actually stuffed jalapeno peppers. How about Frickles? Can you believe Fried Pickles? I honestly would like to try them. Or Martini Oysters - Martinis are drizzled over the grilling oysters. Let the party begin.